Sunday, May 24, 2009

Happy Memorial Day!





As we all gather together with our family and friends today, let us remember what today is and the significance that this day brings. Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service.

"To those who have died securing peace and freedom; To those who served in conflict to protect and sacrifice their dreams of the day to preserve the hope of our nation-keeping America free. It is important to not only recognize their service, but respect their devotion to duty and to ensure that the purpose for which they have fought is never forgotten. Our land has been truly blessed and honored with Veterans who have given their lives to ensure that we have the freedom to enjoy the blessings given to us by God and assured in Liberty by the vision of our founding fathers." (I found this speech on www.usmemorial.org).

So, to all of our Veterans and active duty military, I want to say thank you for all that you do; for all that you have given up and for the sacrifice that your families have endured. To my brother, Mike, I don't look up to you just because you are my older brother. I look up to you because you have fought to protect me, my family, your family, and millions of other peoples families. For you to put your life in harms way so that your kids and my kids will grow up in the land of the free, is the most amazing and selfless act that you could ever do. I am so proud of you! You have seen your fair share of fighting since you joined the Marines 13 1/2 years ago. You are one of the many American heroes and I am lucky enough to call you my brother! Thank you for everything Mike! I love you!

To help re-educate and remind Americans of the true meaning of Memorial Day, the "National Moment of Remembrance" resolution was passed on Dec 2000 which asks that at 3 p.m. local time, for all Americans "To voluntarily and informally observe in their own way a Moment of remembrance and respect, pausing from whatever they are doing for a moment of silence or listening to 'Taps."




No comments: